Saturday, May 26, 2012

Trip Highlights

well I'm back from my trip to the coast and it was everything I had hoped it would be...relaxing, warm and beautiful! I read a lot (finished 5 books in 10 days!) ate great food, laid in the sun, shopped and reconnected with my friends from Denmark. After our week in Mombasa and Diani Beach we took the overnight train back to Nairobi which was an experience! I had never done this before but it was cheap and fun. Sleeping was difficult due to the noise and the bumping around and when we went to the bathroom I could see the ground zipping by beneath me, however we woke up as we were driving through a national park so outside my window were zebras, giraffes, buffalo, and lots of other animals. It was an amazing way to wake up and I never get tired of seeing safari animals! We spent a day or so in Nairobi shopping and exploring and I came back to Maua today.

Here are just a few highlights from the trip:



I rode a camel on the beach. It was awesome. My camel's name was Adam (funny, right?) but there was also Eve, Pluto and Barack Obama. It was a bumpy ride but a lot of fun and gorgeous on the beach!

Multiple people have been asking me recently if I know karate. Apparently they have seem The Karate Kid and assume all Asians know karate. It was funny the first 3 or 4 times...

We went snorkeling on a glass bottom boat and it was awesome. Clear waters, awesome coral and beautiful fish. Here are a couple shots I took when we were checking out some of the sea life.


Here is just a glimpse of one of the city centers we found to shop at in Nairobi...lots of shops, lots of great stuff.

Also I saw someone on the streets in Nairobi wearing a Ben Roethisburger jersey! I tried to take a picture and shout out the window but he didn't see/hear me. I think a lot of people get donated clothes because one of our drivers was wearing a Pittsburgh Pirates hat and didn't even know what the 'P' was for or who the Pirates were, but it still made my heart happy!

I'm glad to be back home and ready for a busy week of outreach and medical clinics. Ps did I mention I helped deliver a baby last week? It was awesome and this is the sweet beautiful little girl. (It was also kind of gross because the nurse I was helping didn't wear gloves (SUPER GROSS) I did though, don't worry!)






0 comments:

Post a Comment