Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mombasa and Diani Beach

I think I'm in love with the Indian Ocean. One of the things I wanted to do while I was in Africa was swim in the Indian Ocean...I mean when else would I have the chance. I laid eyes on it and I'm smitten. It's a gorgeous blue green and it has white sands and it's warm! I love it.
We arrived in Mombasa on Thursday morning. I took a 6 hour matatu ride from Maua, met up with Christina and Ida in Nairobi and we boarded a 10:30pm overnight bus. It was surprisingly comfortable and I was able to sleep more than I expected. We arrived in hot Mombasa around 9am took a tuk tuk which looks is like a little taxi/motorbike for three. It's really fun to ride in and we got dropped off at a hostel about 15 minutes from the city. It was nice, clean and had decent food. We explored in town, did shopping, visited the beach and read alot. Saturday morning we took a tuk tuk to the ferry and across to Diani beach! It is everything I expected an more. We found a brand new hostel that must have been a really nice resort before because the lodging is amazing. It has a gorgeous pool, my dream bathroom (claw foot tub and all!) and is a 5 minute walk to the beach. I am loving exploring here, swimming in the ocean, and we have plans for snorkeling and hiking! If you are ever looking for a vacation hot spot, Diani beach is it! I promise you won't be disappointed.
Ps I'm writing this post from my iPhone because there is free wifi! So I will try and upload pics as well! Miss and love you all...wish you were here!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got excited when you described a tuk tuk because it sounds just like a rickshaw from India. Then I saw your picture... and it IS! Except in India they are yellow. They're so fun! They remind me of little bumblebees. Are the streets super crowded there so they have to squeeze between and zoom around each other? So fun. And I want to go to that beach. It looks amazing! Sounds like you're having a blast! I miss you!

Post a Comment