Tuesday, June 19, 2012

all the things I've learned...

I've been trying to journal all the things I've learned over the last three months...its a lot harder than I thought it would be to put into words all I've seen, experienced and learned...but I'll give it a shot:

  • I like American food WAY MORE than African food. And even that is an understatement. I thought I would starve to death here my first couple weeks. However, I did try at least 6 or 7 new things so I can definitely cross off "trying new foods" off my 30 before 30 list. I'm grateful for the variety, the quickness and the deliciousness of American food.
  • Someday in the distant future I want an African baby...like really badly. I thought about stealing one and bring it home with me, but I figure I'll just adopt one legally one day. Seriously. I neeeeed one, they are so adorable.
  • I really like traveling by myself...you are free to be whoever you want to be, free to see what you want and do what you want...you learn how to depend on yourself, speak up for yourself and enjoy being by yourself.
  • I miss my friends and family a lot...I learned there are a lot of people that love me and care for me back in the States and I feel really blessed and encouraged by the support I've been given.
  • I learned a lot about who "Just Lauren" is...not Lauren who works at Heritage, Lauren from Pittsburgh, Lauren etc...just Lauren. Being on your own for 3 months does that and I learned there is a lot that I like about her.
  • God shows up in ways far different but far better than we ever expect Him to...and He always shows up. 
  • Even when I run away to a country 14,000 miles away (we did the research) God has always been steps ahead of me and I'm so humbled to be a piece of His plan and really excited about the stories He will continue to write for me.
  • I'm a lot stronger than I thought I was or ever could be.
  • I like public health/community health nursing. I like taking care of people who otherwise can't afford it. I like teaching healthy family planning and healthy hygiene practices. I like being able to teach people preventive health care measures that might save their life. My heart breaks for those who can't afford health care and are sick when they don't have to be. 
  • There is so much beauty and wonder in the world that God created and I've only seen a small bit of it but I know I want to keep traveling and keep having adventures.
This is just a short summary of 10 things, I'd love to tell you more as I continue to process and reflect!


xo


0 comments:

Post a Comment